Saturday, April 19, 2014

A Very Soft Landing...

I've almost forgotten about this blog, it's been a long time, over two years...so I think it's time for a new addition, beyond the two year old Hawaii post that just, for some reason, published today?? go figure...

In these past two years, I've retired from full time public school teaching, become a grandfather times two, Had two hideous hip replacements fail, both revised and now seemingly correct and stronger than at any time in the past 5 years.

I've also taken up a part time teaching gig at a local catholic middle school about a half mile from my front door. The circumstances were funny, I subbed for a few days just to get out of the house after retiring, and was offered a part time situation, we spoke and it turned out to be three morning classes, all done by 11:10 in the morning. I took it on a whim, thought it would be interesting...it turns out to be a GREAT deal of fun.
The administration is wonderful, the parents incredibly nice and supportive, and the kids are just great.
I remember what my uncle once told me when I told him I was going to take a Junior High position in Greenwich in 1981..."well, you will really learn how to teach..." (he was a JHS teacher and subsequently a long term middle school principal so he knew of what he spoke).

That remains true for this little gig...I think I have learned more about what I do in the past 6 months than I needed to know in 35 years at the HS level.

Fun, great situation, and every other week they put some money in my checking account...who has it better than me??

No comments:

Post a Comment


"A hole in the water, surrounded by fiberglass, into which one pours money"