Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day and Winter Break

Well, this winter break, the first time Sue and I have shared the same break in two years and the last time we'll share the same break in the next three, started badly. We had set up a trip to Vero Beach, Florida. We were going to the Disney Vacation Club property where we have had much relaxation and much fun in years past. The clothes were shipped via FedEx, and a case of wine was also there waiting for us. However, about 36 hours before we were to leave I, quite by accident, found out one leg of our flight was canceled. No explanation, no word from Delta, just canceled. I spent the next 6 hours trying to make alternate arrangements all to no avail. The earliest they would have been able to get us in was midnight Tuesday morning and that would have required two connections from NY through Detroit AND Atlanta to go to Florida AND there were no rental cars available. So after much hand wringing and checking trains, and even, (shudder) the Greyhound Bus I shut down the trip. The good news (?) is that the folks at Disney took pity on my plight and put the points back in my regular account, not the emergency holding account, thus allowing me full access to them for the future. Other good news, I managed to get us two days at the Mayflower Inn, in Washington, CT complete with multiple spa treatments followed by one day of silliness at the Mohegan Sun (though at the less than Mayflower-like Best Western Inn). Continuing with the "get lemons make lemonade" approach, we had dinner last night at the Roger Sherman Inn in New Caanan, tonight for Valentine's Day we'll go to Rouge in South Norwalk for what appears to be a great V.Day menu, and we're enjoying some wine I've been holding onto for a while for special occasions. I must attribute my ability to adjust on the fly to my lovely wife, Susan. As a true "type-A Tony", in the past I would have wasted the entire week being sullen and walking around "woe is me". She continues to work like hell to move me forward out of that pit and to occasionally visit Oblivia, a place she is convinced is the best place to visit when things get tough.

I can only wish everyone the fortune to have found such a companion, and to be lucky enough to keep riding the train in the Land of Hope and Dreams with such a person. She has seen me through a hip replacement in late December, constantly makes me laugh and continually be thankful for each and every good thing that we are so very fortunate to have or to experience. I only wish I knew what I did right to find her so I can repeat it over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment


"A hole in the water, surrounded by fiberglass, into which one pours money"